Internal and External Advertisement for the Position of Vice Chancellor
The Governing Council of the Federal University Dutsin-ma has declared that the tenure of the current Vice Chancellor will end on February 15, 2016 and invites applications from interested suitably qualified candidates.
1.0 ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The Federal University Dutsin-ma is one of the twelve newly established Federal Universities in Nigeria, located in Dutsin-ma, Katsina State. The institution is ICT-driven, envisioned to be a top ranking, world-class University, committed to excellence in research and the production of generation of leaders with passion for service.
The mission of the University is to create knowledge, impart it to transform the human being, deploy it to grow the economy and solve local and global challenges, and do so in partnership and with integrity.
The institution commenced its academic activities in the 2011/2012 academic session and graduated its first set of students in July, 2015. All the 23 academic programmes on offer in the University were successfully accredited by the NUC at the very first attempt in 2015. Other evidence that the University is committed to excellence is revealed in the result of recent competitiveness rankings of Universities by Webometric. In this result FUDMA emerged at the 14th best University in Nigeria after barely 3 years of its existence.
The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive and the Academic Head of the University; he/she is the Chairman of the Senate and Congregation and member of the Governing Council. The Vice Chancellor shall among other duties:
- Promote research, teaching and high standard of academic excellence;
- Be responsible to Council for the maintenance of peace, law and order in the University;
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on all matters affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University;
- Regulate the admission of students, subject to the guidelines and procedure approved by the Senate and other statutory bodies;
- Be responsible for staff and students discipline and welfare in the University.
3.0 THE PERSON
Applicants for the position of Vice Chancellor, Federal University Dutsin-ma must be distinguished scholars with outstanding academic and administrative records. He/she must be a proven manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the person
- Must have spent not less than fifteen (15) years in the University, with at least 10 years experience as Professor with the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for the University.
- Should have a good understanding of the vision and mission of the University.
- Be able to attract research grants and complimentary funds from local and international agencies, and further uplift the academic status of the University.
- Possess personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of the University’s strategic plan.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between staff, students and members of the university community and stakeholders.
- Have demonstrable abilities to establish and maintain partnerships with local, international, government and non governmental agencies and organizations.
- Be an individual who, judging from his/her track records, is likely to command the respect as well as the loyalty of members of staff and University Community.
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff (teaching and non-teaching).
- Be able to exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra statutory funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University.
- Have excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Should be in position to ensure the enforcement of the University’s laws and regulations.
- Be information and technology proficient and be committed to the development of ICT into the University programmes and services.
- Be of excellent physical and mental health.
- Not be more than 65 years of age by 16th February, 2016 when the position is scheduled to be occupied.
4.0 TENURE AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The Vice Chancellor shall hold the Office for a single, non-renewable term of five (5) years. The remuneration and conditions of service for the post shall be as applicable in Federal Universities.
5.0 SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:
Interested candidates are required to submit thirty copies (30) of their application and curriculum vitae under confidential cover in sealed envelopes marked “Post of Vice Chancellor” at the top left corner of the envelope directly to: The Registrar, Federal University Dutsin-ma, P.M.B. 5001, Dutsin-ma, Katsina State not later than six weeks from the day of the advertisement. The candidate’s vision statement for the University during his/her tenure if appointed should be attached to the application. The application must include academic and professional qualifications, birth certificate or declaration of age, list of publications, verifiable evidence of work experience and curriculum vitae that includes the following among other information:
- Full name (surname, first name, middle name)
- Post applied for
- Place and State of Birth
- State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Correspondence address (if different from permanent address)
- Mobile phone number
- Email Address
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children (if any)
- Educational Institution attended with dates
- Academic Qualifications obtained with dates
- Professional Qualifications obtained with dates
- Work experience including full details
- Community service(s) rendered (including dates and locations)
- Full details of teaching and research experience
- List of publications and dates where applicable
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Names and addresses of three Referees one of whom must be from the last or current place of employment.
All referees should be asked to send their independent reports to the Registrar with full details of the applicant and the post applied for, not later than the closing date of this advertisement.
Muhammad Yusufu Abubakar
Registrar/Secretary to Council