BRIEF ON THE UNIVERSITY
The Federal University, Dutsin-ma is located in Dutsin-ma Local government Area of Katsina State, which is located in the North-Western region of Nigeria, bordering Niger Republic, Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa States.
The establishment of the Federal University Dutsin-ma along with eight other Federal Universities, is in line with the Federal Government of Nigeriaâ€™s determination to run a technology driven economy with the aim of achieving the vision 20:2020, to further improve the nationâ€™s knowledge base and expand access to education, which is a defining factor in the establishment of institutions of learning in Nigeria. The overall goal of the establishment was to tackle the challenges of inadequate space for eligible university applicants. Thus the nine new Federal Universities, which were established in States where none existed, are positioned to strike a balance between access, equity and quality, thereby creating an avenue for indigenous appreciation of educational values.
The establishment of Federal University Dutsin-ma along with eight other universities as a first phase in the approved establishment of twelve new universities on the basis of equity and access was consequent on a memorandum presented by the then Minister of state, Education, Olorogun Kenneth O. Gbagi to the Federal Executive Council, at its 39th meeting held on Wednesday, 10th November, 2010, recommending the establishment of 44 additional tertiary institutions nationwide. Under the chairmanship of Prof. Julius A. Okojie, Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), a twelve-member technical committee developed the modalities for the location and take-off of Federal University, Dutsin-ma and the other eight universities in the report presented to the Honourable Minister on Monday, 15th November, 2010. This was followed with a visit by the Honourable Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqqayat Ahmed Rufaâ€™i, OON accompanied by the Director (Tertiary Education), Federal Ministry of Education and the executive Secretaries of NUC as well as the Education Trust Fund (ETF). With the support of the State Government, permanent as well as take-off site were identified, subsequently approved by the Federal Executive Council, and Council approved the sum of N1.5 billion take-off grant, to be sourced from the ETF.
On 7th February, 2011, in his capacity as Visitor to Federal Universities, the President and Commander in Chief, His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, appointed Prof. James O.I. Ayatse and Mal. Muhammad Yusuf Abubakar as Vice Chancellor and Registrar, respectively. These appointments were communicated by the Honourable minister of Education on Wednesday, 9th February 2011, and took effect from 16th February 2011. The Vice Chancellor and Registrar officially assumed office on 10th March, 2011, the day they were formally presented to the Government and people of Katsina State by the Honourable Minister of Education. The Vice Chancellor subsequently appointed Mr Sadiq Momoh Jimoh and Mallam Misbahu Naiya as the Deputy Bursar, and Deputy Librarian, respectively.
The Federal University Dutsin-ma whose main objective is to encourage the advancement of learning and to hold out to all persons without distinction of race, creed, sex or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring higher and liberal education matriculated her pioneer students of 219 spread across three faculties, namely: Faculty of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology, Faculty of Arts and Management Studies, and Faculty of Science and Science Education. Currently, there are 1754 students consisting of 1255 males and 499 females registered in the 21 Departments of the three Faculties.
University Administration and
The Federal Government of Nigeria stands as the sole proprietor and source of funds for the Federal University, Dutsin-ma, while His Excellency, the President and commander in Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is the Visitor to the university. However, from its inception till date, Katsina State Government under the leadership of His Excellency, Governor Ibrahim Shema, FNIM has contributed generously towards the infrastructural development on the take-off campus.
At full administrative maturity, the Visitor will exercise his control through the Federal Ministry of Education, the National Universities Commission, the Chancellor, who essentially is ceremonial, and Governing Council. The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Accounting Officer of the University. He is supported by other Principal Officers such as the Deputy Vice-Chancellor(s), the Registrar, the University Librarian and the Bursar.
The striking features in the logo of the Federal University, Dutsin-ma are some rocks, a wheel and a calf. Also included in the logo is a fine blend of carefully selected colours to signify the focus and integrity of the university.
- The rocks: At the base of the logo are a symbol of the rocks of Dutsin-ma and Katsina State, where the university is located. This feature identifies the university with its location and its desire to work in harmony with its natural environs and peoples.
- The Wheel: Is a symbol of technology. In the logo, the wheel is firmly anchored between and links the green (agriculture) and gold (wealth) colour parchments. This feature points to the fact that the universityâ€™s programmes will employ modern technology to transform agriculture, add value and create wealth.
- The Calf: Between the green and gold parchments and above the wheel represents the promotion of agriculture and technology to promote animal health and animal protein production in line with the traditional occupation of the majority of the people of Katsina State and indeed Nigeria.
Integrity and Service
The colours of the Federal University, Dutsin-ma are black, gold, green and white.
- Black: This colour symbolises power and elegance. It points to the desire to build an elegant institution with a strong institutional management system and efficient management structure.
- Gold: This colour symbolises wealth, wisdom, prestige, illumination and high quality. It indicates the dream to build a prestigious, high quality university that does not only illuminate and impacts wisdom, but lead its stakeholders to wealth creation.
- Green: This colour symbolises nature, fertility, growth and agriculture. It indicates the desire of the university to harness the natural provisions within its location, its competitive advantage â€“ land, water and forest resources to promote agriculture and agricultural technology and evolve as a centre of excellence in value addition in agriculture.
- White: this colour stands for light, integrity, perfection, successful beginning, and depicts faith. It captures the desire to grow an institution strong on integrity values, which is a source of light in an increasingly decadent society, and produce graduates that have the faith and confidence to serve with integrity.